Creative Tactics

We all have things we want to do in life. We plan for the future so it can go our way. Even if we do that, things can still turn out totally different from what we were expecting for the better or worse. This is life's specialty after all. It constantly throws surprises at you, even if you don't realize it. It is actually one of my top reasons to why it is worth living. In the case that you were hit by a bad surprise, it is always good to have a backup plan. A guide of some sort can really help you get back on your feet in the most troubling times. My mission is to become a game designer and bring my stories to life. This survival manual I titled "Creative Tactics" is here to always drive me in the right direction no matter the roadblocks I come across on my way to complete my mission.



The Purpose

The purpose of this guide is to drive me in the right direction, even if I ever come across a worst case scenario. The contents of this guide will not work for anyone who is not me. When put my past and future plans in context, all the information it provides make more sense. This means if someone with a different past and future plan were to read it, the guide’s contents will not apply to them as much as they do with me.

This guide is specifically made for my mission to become a game designer and bring my stories to life through digital forms, like video games. “Why would I want to do that?”, you might ask. Video games, animation, and art have been my passion for years now. It is something I do not want to give up. I see all of the amazing things people make today and I want to be a part of that. We all want our stories to be heard, which is why I decided to pursue a career that gives mine that opportunity through the things I love doing.

Lay of the Land

My road ahead looks something like this. Most job positions for game designers require you to have a bachelor’s degree in game design and some experience in a related field that involves making the game itself, like animation or coding. Another thing many game studios want their candidates to have is an exceptional amount of time spent playing video games. This is because they want their employees to know what every game needs, doesn’t need, and what can bring enjoyment to the player. (What Are the Qualifications for a Game Designer Job? + Game Designer: Job Info and Requirements for Becoming a Game Designer)

I already have my fair share of time spent playing video games and I am on my way to getting that bachelor’s degree in game design in four years. The training I will be given to become experienced with the work done as a game designer that is new to me will be working with various types of software that come into play when developing games, marketing, and writing scripts. (What Education & Training Is Necessary for a Game Designer?)

I made sure the game design program I am majoring in at the school I am going to, Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), teaches me these skills I need to get employed as a game designer by checking their website. I won’t have to worry about signing up for another program just to get the job I want. Even if there is a little more I need to learn, I am going to minor in animation as well. I feel like I am all set in terms of having the knowledge and experience I need by the time I apply for a job.

When I start making games, I don’t want them to be a product made solely on the purpose to make money from. There are many reasons as to why it is best not to do this, but this is one of the most important ones. Why you should not make your game only to make money from it is because the team behind developing it start building it as something with that only purpose. This leads to the game having a bad story, bad gameplay, and a generic art direction. However, the creators would not care about that as long as they made money off of it. It is a good thing people catch on quick when an expensive game is bad thanks to spoiler free reviews on YouTube, or else lousy game studios like those would be making fortunes from complete garbage.

Supergiant Games is an indie game studio who made four hit games with unique ways of telling their stories and use of gorgeous art styles. They are the perfect example of what game development must look like. Their most recent title, Hades, had millions of people, including myself, playing it and 98% of them said, “This game is awesome!”. This happened when it was in early access too, which meant the game was not finished yet but people could still play the finished parts of it. Supergiant Games are my inspiration for being a small company that still make great games with barely any flaws. Every game company should follow in their footsteps because they listen to the player's feedback, carefully chose what part of the game they want to get done each day, obviously playtest it a couple hundred times, and learn what does and does not work from previous projects.

Timeline

This is my mission’s timeline. It starts with me going to my future school, then I get my bachelor of fine arts degree in game design. The next big step is me applying for my first job in game design. Once I get the job at a game studio, I work as a game designer and improve my skills as I do so, while I also work on making my own games at home. It is hard making a game alone, so I will form my own team of game developers with my coworkers. Farther in the future, we will finish our first game! Marketing will take some time so publishing it onto Steam will come later. After all of that, it is indefinite I will be taking a break from making my own games. When I feel like I am ready, I will begin making another game and do the same things as I did before.



Required Resources

The first thing I need is a mentor(s). Someone who can help sharpen my skills. I will most likely find them when I am in college, which is one of the many reasons why I am so excited for it. Right now, I wish to get better at drawing. Drawings are like the bones of the body for every video game. Every other part of the body is built around them. From character designs to level architecture, you should have a drawing for pretty much everything you know the player will see in your game. They keep you on track with its visuals, and will make it look closer to how its creator envisioned it.

Non-Negotiables and Inspiration

I am willing to sacrifice time to get to where I eventually want to be. I don’t have anything else I want, and feel the need, to do more than this. That is why I will keep on doing what I am doing until I eventually get there, no matter how many years I spend doing so. I will never sacrifice my ideas or plans. I will not sacrifice my passion to create in exchange for money. Money is the defier. Passion is my blade. With this blade, I will cut through every roadblock thrown at me so I can reach my end goal, soaked in blood and sweat.

My greatest dangers are the people trying to affect the way I live and the fear of regretting the way I lived. I look back on these quotes for strength to surpass those dangers.

“Your life is your own.” - Mob Choir, 2016

No one can change the outcome of my life.

"I don't know how I'll feel when I'm dead, but I don't want to regret the way I lived." - Gege Akutami, 2018

I am the only one that can make my life worth living.

“The past can't hurt you anymore, unless you let it.” - Alan Moore, 1982

Don’t focus on the past, only the present.

“This is what is means to go further beyond!” - Mark Fischbach, 2020

I can surpass the limits I see in front me.

“It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.” - Heath Ledger, 2008

The stories I have to tell are what matter most in my mission.

Money Burns, Passion Pays

Finally, I want to share one final quote that comes from a person I know everything about, myself.



Works Cited

Campbell, Rhonda. “What Education & Training Is Necessary for a Game Designer?” Chron.com, 8 Aug. 2018, work.chron.com/education-training-necessary-game-designer-4875.html.

“Game Designer: Job Info and Requirements for Becoming a Game Designer.” Study.com | Take Online Courses. Earn College Credit. Research Schools, Degrees & Careers, 16 Jan. 2020, study.com/articles/Game_Designer_Job_Info_and_Requirements_for_Becoming_a_Game_Designer.html.

“Q: What Are the Qualifications for a Game Designer Job?” ZipRecruiter, www.ziprecruiter.com/e/What-Are-the-Qualifications-for-a-Game-Designer-Job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FedEc(osystem)

"I drink you need some water..."

Deserted