The Foolish Knight

My goal for this story is to teach the audience the importance of not abusing your power. Puppet shows are great for teaching young children life lessons, so making the backgrounds all colorful, setting the story in a fantasy setting, and giving the main character a very specific voice is what makes this show reminiscent of the ones shown to preschoolers. The purpose this serves is to make this show mean it is for teaching something.

My inspiration for the methods I used to bring the Foolish Knight to life mainly came from the puppet breathing and expression techniques I learned in class from a puppeteer from Rough House Theatre. Making my hand puppet move at all times, even if it is with very small movements such as breathing, makes a big difference compared to just putting it on my hand and keeping it still until it needs to do something, like walk.


I chose the story to take place in a medieval kingdom because it was not uncommon at the time to see knights abusing their power over the poor citizens living in nearby villages. With this in mind, I decided to take these historical occurrences and simplify the basics of how and what happens when they take place into a four-minute puppet show representing the similar problems we face in the present.

Writing the overall story was not very difficult. I knew what I wanted to happen in the show and the purpose each special moment serves. I did struggle with polishing the script. I tend to make things sound more complicated than they really are, along with including words that are not needed in a sentence. However, it turned out well in my opinion. The original plan was to read the whole script as I control some of the puppets, but found that I could only put my focus into one of those things, narrating and puppeteering, while I do both. This caused either sloppy puppeteering or narrating with lots of stutters. I resolved this by having my mom do all of the talking as I control the puppets. My mom also controlled some of the puppets herself because I needed an extra set of hands.

Finally, a show cannot be performed without a stage. I took different colored softcore foamboards and colored some scenery onto them to make the backgrounds for each scene. My mom also suggested the medieval music to play for the first half of the show to add to its theme. The setup was not the most comfortable for my arms as I tried to control the puppets from below where the camera can't see me. I also had to be careful with the backgrounds because they could be knocked over really easily. In the end, after a few previous attempts, I think we filmed a pretty good run of the show with an iPhone in the center of a ring light. This was a fun project and I am happy with its outcome. I hope you enjoyed it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fearsome Friends

"I drink you need some water..."

Deserted